Wednesday, February 4, 2009

More teasers for the greatest application

The flight from the wedding was uneventful, which is always a good thing during a plane trip. While I was sitting at DIA, Denver International Airport, waiting for my flight back home, I started to think about how great it would be to be waiting for my Quantas flight to the Interview on Hamilton Island. I am still waiting to hear from Tourism Queensland on when my video will be up on the site. The wait is killing me. I know that I would be the perfect person to tell the world to visit the Whitsundays. Enough of my impatience, let’s talk more about my video application.

I have given you teasers, the Snorkel scene, my qualifications, and hinted at knowing about the Whitsunday chain. Now I will share what I believe to be my unique slant of who I am, as it pertains to the needs of this position. I have seen plenty of videos where a young guy or girl are talking about themselves and why they want the position, though, what I haven’t seen a lot of is an applicant tapping into the expanse of their experiences. True, I am a guy from the Western United States, however, I am also:
· A Newly Wedded couple
· Families with Young Children and teenagers
· College Students
· Young Adults
· Middle Aged Retirees
· Friends from the UK, Sweden, Mexico, Columbia and Taiwan

In my application video, I explained how I have a close and extensive network of family and friends who will be visiting me when I get the position. This is where I believe I am better qualified than the rest. Hiring me will be for Tourism Queensland, like hiring all of the people I listed above. I through my own experience and perceptions can speak to the world of only so much. However, when all of my family and friends visit me, I will be able to relay their experiences and perceptions to the world. The way I see it, if you were a family with small children, planning a family vacation, who would you rather here about the vacation possibilities from, a hot young guy or girl with no children? Or, would you rather here the review and experience from another family with small children? Exactly, you want to hear it from someone like you. The only real problem I see in my plan is, I only had 60 seconds to share all of this and more. So the video doesn’t have this full explanation of why I was talking about my family and friends, just a sound bite. Of course, this is why I am writing this blog, so that hopefully Tourism Queensland will check it out and get the full background on the 60 second masterpiece that they are hopefully watching right now.

Aside from this little bit of the massive 60 seconds that I put together for the application, I will also tell you about the editing of the video. I have watched plenty of videos with just one scene of one person talking to the camera. There have also been a few with the basic editing of a transition here and there, but few have had much in the editing department. This is something I pioneered in my current position, and I wanted to show that I can make 60 seconds interesting and captivating, which is very important when you are trying to catch and hold the interest of teenagers. So get ready to watch an entertaining 60 seconds, and yes, the editing was all me. I mention that the editing was done by me because that is part of the job responsibilities, keeping a video diary.

I know that you are just as anxious as I am to see the video up on the official site. Stay tuned and you should be seeing my 60 seconds of fame very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment