Thursday, February 19, 2009

Getting on the Ellen DeGeneres Show

2 days until the close of applications! I’m glad I submitted my application early. I wish the best of luck to those finishing up their apps now and trying to submit before the deadline.

This may very well be my final post as an applicant before applications close, though, I hope to be writing in the future as a Short-Lister. If this is to be my final post as an applicant, I wanted to let you know what I have been doing to help my chances of making the vital 50 person Short List. Early on in the process of applying for the “Best Job in the World” my mom gave me the idea to ask Ellen DeGeneres to have me on her show. At first, I thought, “no way, why would Ellen have me on her show?” As the idea percolated in my mind, I began to think more seriously about attempting what I thought to be impossible. Yes, I would do everything I could to show Ellen, she should have me on as a guest.

The plan started with the idea of making a video expressly for Ellen. In the video I would ask Ellen to help me gain some exposure for my bid to make the 50 person short list. I even promised to dance with Ellen if she would have me on the show. I shot the video, then edited it into my Application video. You can watch the video here “Ellen Video” The next step, I saw, was getting Ellen to watch the video. How do you get an amazing celebrity like Ellen DeGeneres to watch your video? Well, I figure, you ask her. So that’s exactly what I did. I, along with everyone from my Facebook group, sent Ellen a message telling her what I was doing and asking her to watch my video.

  • I created a group “Zeni is Aussie Island Bound” to help promote myself. I invited all of my friends and in-turn, asked all of them to invite all of their friends and over and over again. I figured that if only 20 friends of each person I invited joined and so on, there would be quite a lot of people rallied around a central cause, Me and my bid for the “Best Job in the World”. Today the group stands at 262 members (after only a week) with a few more joining everyday! I truly have great friends.

As of this morning, I have not heard from Ellen, but I figure it’s due to the fact it’s Oscar’s week. I think she might be a bit busy. The Oscar’s are kinda important in the entertainment world. I have heard from a friend that has a family connection to the show though! It’s beautiful I think, how you never really know until you ask. I am hoping to hear from Ellen next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thank you for following my bid for the “Best Job in the World”! I hope that you have found this blog entertaining and informative. Who knows, I may be talking to you very soon as one of the 50 Short-Listers.




If you would like to email Ellen on my behalf, here is what you can do:
1. Here is a link to her show’s email. http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=10
2. Please fill out the form with your information
3. Choose “Suggestions” in the “Type of message” box
4. Then fill in the text of the message with this: Also, feel free to add anything you think would help.

Ellen,
My friend Zeni Whittall is applying to be the “Island Caretaker” of Hamilton Island, Australia. You know, “The Best job in the World”! He needs help in making it through the first round of selection to the 50 person Short List. Zeni has made a “Group” and “Fan Page” on Facebook to promote himself. He’s also made a video asking you to have him on your show. Here is a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIOUyM1Or8
He needs to be on your show sometime between February 22nd and March 2nd, that’s when Tourism Queensland will be making their selection of the 50.
Please help my friend get some exposure for his application video and have him on your show, so he can make the 50 person Short List. I know that he would be perfect for this job.
Thank you,
(Your name)
PS, you can reach Zeni at aussieislandbound@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment